Last week was Library Day In The Life week. I promised to follow up at the end with something saying how closely my week aligned with what was on tap for the week. Here it goes:
Key to Understanding
- If left unchanged, happened as expected
- If italicized, comments
struck through, it didn’t happen
- If bold, added during the course of the week
Meetings (this is about average)
- Tech team: 1 hour round-robin about what we’re all up to
- Web meeting: 30 minutes on the website
- Mentoring: Impromptu. I really value mentoring a lot. I do it both informally and informally at my place of work. This was an unscheduled session.
- Summer Technology Meeting: 1 hour, for all those awarded a Summer Technology Exploration Grant. Our project is the ebook.
- Information Literacy: Met with our Director of Reference, Instruction, and Technology Services and Assistant Director of Reference and Instruction about instruction program. We discussed how I might be able to take on more of that program as my job evolves. I’ll do another post on this transition later. Lots going on here.
- Faculty consult: 1 hour on a faculty member who wants to do an oral history project; archives, digital projects, and instructional design implications This is going to be a very cool project
- Summer Technology Meeting: 1 hour for just those involved in our project. We’ll be meeting with another group on campus making an ebook to see if there are potential places to collaborate/share ideas.
- Debriefed after meeting: with fellow grant members. Conversation about where our project intersects and doesn’t with the other group on campus doing similar work.
- First Year Seminar chat: Talked with another librarian about who would do library instruction for a FYS class that overlaps between our subject areas. Determined I’d approach the faculty member, but if scheduling works we’d both do the class.
- Lunch meeting: with the Coordinator for Technology Innovation & Collaboration. Last year, in her previous position, she reported to me. Now she reports through three different departments including ours, but luckily we still get to work together a lot.
- Firedrill! Very hot outside!! Luckily it didn’t last for too long.
- Phone call about information literacy: last thing of the day, sounds like an interesting project. This was! It was about the Google A Day project. I’ll do an entire post on this sometime soon.
- Wrote a chapter for our ebook! This was the chapter on books. Now, if only I could carve out a morning once a week. We’d get this thing knocked out in no time!!
- I’m co-hosting a brown bag discussion lunch on the Aaron Swartz JSTOR controversy Wrote a blog post on it for work.
- Catch up with colleague: It had been a while, so compared notes on several projects with a colleague.
- Met a new local librarian: An archivist was visiting our library, and on a tour stopped by my office. We three chatted a bit.
- We’re throwing a goodbye party for my boss
- WFU Social Media Users Group: A discussion for people across campus doing social media for the university.
- Surprise Social Media meeting: As a result of this first meeting, met with another librarian doing social media in another library at my university. We came up with an article idea! Yay!
- Information Literacy: Impromptu discussion with a LIB100 teacher about their plans. Brainstormed a bit. Listened a lot. Also learned about gardening.
Online LIB100 meeting: 1 hour with the Asst. Director of Reference/Information Literacy and Director of Reference, Instruction, and Technology Services about the possibility of taking some of our information literacy online Information Literacy Program meeting: To follow up on Monday’s meeting about the program
- Webex meeting: 1 hour with the Coordinator for Tech, Innovation, & Collaboration and the other supervisors
- Replied to a lot of email, did a lot of scheduling, poked a bit at spotify
- LIB100 meeting: 1 hour with the Asst. Director of Reference/Instruction and Director of Reference, Instruction, and Technology Services about new ways to teach some of our classes
- Weekly catch-up with the Coordinator about how the week went and what’s coming up.
- Information Literacy Program meeting: To follow up on Monday’s meeting about the program, more clarity about what I will be doing.
Big Projects to Complete
- Finish 1 chapter for the ebook: Completed!!
- Plan outline for LIB100 classes I’m teaching this fall (as few as 1, as many as 3!): Will be doing three, haven’t done outlines yet. Have a rough idea for timing. It’s going to be almost as if I were teaching a three credit course!
- Plan talk for LYRASIS meeting next week: Did some of this one evening. Doing a lot of it this week. I decided to start from scratch and make a whole new slide deck. Fun!
- Finish emptying out my email folders to get back to inbox zero!: Success! However, already far behind. Email currently at 68. How is that even possible just four days later? I’ve been replying to email almost constantly since then!
- Soul searching: lots of thinking about what I’m emphasizing in my career, what path I want to focus on, and how I can best contribute.
All in all, not bad! All meetings happened, if not on the day they were scheduled for. Ten surprise meetings. Half my planned projects got completed. I’ll finish a third by tomorrow. Class scheduling can happen next week. Though, it occurs to me, if I didn’t have the 10 surprise meetings, I’d have probably finished the other two projects. To top off a good week, interesting things on the horizon! Yay for a library day in the life!