I feel like this has been a particularly intense week… but actually, it’s pretty normal.
Today is a little different. I’d intentionally blocked off large portions of the day for some large tasks that have to happen this week. For that reason, I’m in casual attire, I broke out the reading glasses, and I have a mug of hot tea in front of me.
- Got in a little later (20 minutes later) than I wanted due to an impromtu hour of helping Leif get back to sleep around 3am
- Checked in with email, calendar, Toodledo
- Selected 3 MITs
- Turned on my TED Talk playlist so that I could listen to them in the background. I try to do this at least once a month so that if there’s anything particularly relevant I can work it into my LIB100 class.
- I worked on a database project for another department that the web services librarian and I have been working on for some time. This part of the project included creating some trial data and putting it into the system to see if it would display in ways that the department would like.
- Worked on my Thursdays at Starling presentation. My topic is the intersection of libraries, technology and teaching in today’s evolving information landscape. I’m really excited because these are presentations by faculty at the University to people at this University. The audience doesn’t come because it’s training (like I’m used to), they come because they want to see what work others at the University are doing and in the same event you hear short talks (10 minutes) from three people from wildly different backgrounds. I’m still working out my overall message….
- Though I did check some email and had a few drop-ins
- Lunch with John and Leif! John’s been able to make it a lot more than normal this week!
- IRB Training; lots of Radiohead in the background
- Faculty member stopped by. We caught up (which was nice) and made plans for wikis for his classes (which I look forward to doing). I realized I need to be more on top of email since when he walked in I wasn’t sure if I had let something slip through the cracks or not. Just how to fit it in?!
- A few mission critical reply emails (in response to that feeling that I might have missed something)
- Continued working on Starling presentation. I have created all the text outline slides, and now need to find appropriate images. It’s looking like about 50 slides for the 10 minutes, but many of those are rapid fire where we’ll go through 6 in 3 or 4 seconds. I’m head down in this at this point, and I likely won’t remember to publish when done, so I’m going to go ahead and publish now. Hope the rest of your days go well!