Using Technology for Fast-Track Training
Debra Runshe - Session Chair
Trina Gabriel and Alice Jagnandan – University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Though my institution doesn’t do distance learning, I think that we can do a lot with online training tools, so I thought that this might be a useful session in an abstract way. I was particularly interested in how they trained their facilitators using online tech: it would be nice to know how to create effective tools for training faculty and staff.
- About the iSchool at UNCG, where students can take classes for high school and college credit, online, through UNCG.
- Classes take place during the class day, and have teacher facilitators.
- Talked about strengths of this type of training and challenges
- 100% online, self-paced, with instructor presence through BlackBoard
- Spent a while talking about what they do in person to help with people needing tech help
- They demoed some of the online class materials. Very multimedia/flash driven.
- Showed a course that had a preview that felt a lot like an ad for a movie.
- Program has outstanding results (400 facilitators trained to date, created environment, on-demand training, data collection)
So, not so much about how they train the teachers, but it’s good to know more about the program. I had seen a presentation about a philosophy class which is really quite amazing. Now I can see that they’re doing that level work in a number of courses.