The Re-enchantment of Learning and Teaching
Dale argued that the disenchantment that learning is tied up with getting a job & economics. The Re-enchantment is part about how to live (the awe, mystery, grief, etc tied up in wondering about the world)
- Ideas from Dale (educator of educators)
- has them read 2 fables on the first day of class and discuss
- I really like this, where do people learn to read & discuss today? It’s good to have an environment to learn this skill.
- asks probing questions: what is a false teacher? false learner? etc
- teaching as a gift is very different than teaching as a commodity exchange
- but, teaching as a gift puts us in a state of vulnerability
- Dale argued that we have historically used education as a proxy for addressing issues of poverty when should be addressed at the source, and learning could be about something more
- my favorite quote of the whole conference: “Teaching is a public display of what I love.”
- Important to remember not every student is going to fall in love
- language of the “good” has been ejected. we just talk about language of the useful.